Sunday, January 18, 2009

In the Bathroom

Now that he's getting older, Thomas has become more competent and likes doing "grownup" things. I've been working with him on a bathroom routine. I guess you could say this is the start of potty training, but really, we're just building up some skills that are nice now, though they will be essential down the road. But here's our little ritual that we're doing 5-7 times a day.

1) I announce that we're going to go change a diaper and Thomas walks to the hall gate. I take down the gate and he walks into the bathroom.
2) He gets his step stool, puts it into position, climbs up on it and turns on the light.
3) I lift him up onto the counter and change his diaper. This is his least favorite part. Sometimes he plays with a toy to distract himself, sometimes we play games together, and sometimes he fights and I hold him down.
4) I put him back on the floor and remind him to wash his hands. He fetches his stool, moves it to the sink, and climbs up.
5) We wash our hands. I operate the knobs and soap since he can't reach, but he does scrub his own hands.
6) After we dry our hands, Thomas moves his stool and turns off the light.

Diaper changes now take significantly longer, but he enjoys it a whole lot more. He really feels like big stuff operating the light switch. Even with his stool, it's nearly at the edge of his reach.

No comments: